Cahaba Park Church is a member of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) and began as a church plant of Covenant Presbyterian Church in Birmingham, Alabama. The PCA began in 1973 and is one of the fastest growing Christian churches in the United States. The PCA is a denomination that is both conservative and progressive. Theologically, we are conservative, and are committed to the full authority of the Bible, believe in the historic doctrines of the Christian faith, and affirm that salvation is offered to all people by grace through faith in Christ.
At the same time, we are a progressive church, eager to present the Gospel to all people: there is good news of life with God in Christ. We are committed to make disciples and to apply the unchanging truths of the Bible to an ever-changing world.
Specifically, We Believe…
- …in the Trinity. There is one God who exists eternally in three Persons—the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are one God. The same in substance, equal in power and glory.
- …in the full divinity and the full humanity of Jesus Christ, the eternal Son of God. Jesus Christ is the fullest and final revelation of God to mankind. He, upon becoming man, lived, died and rose again to atone for the sins of those who trust in Him alone for their salvation. He is the only mediator between God and mankind.
- …in the Holy Scriptures. We believe that the Bible is the written Word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit, and without error in the original manuscripts. The Bible is infallible and our divine authority in all matters of faith and practice.
- …that all people are sinners and are unable to save themselves or even cooperate with God in efforts to earn their salvation.
- …that salvation is by God’s action alone, who saves His people by drawing them to Jesus by His Holy Spirit. He convinces them of their sin and enlightens them so that they repent of their sins and trust in Jesus Christ as He is offered in the gospel.
- …that God’s Holy Spirit gives Christians the daily strength and wisdom they need to walk according to His will and to grow in holiness.
- …that Jesus Christ shall return personally, visibly, and bodily to judge all mankind and to receive His people unto Himself.